Developing a strong set of deltoids (Muscles in your Shoulders) is the desire of every gym Rat. For the sake of strength, size, shape and muscle volume of your Shoulders, one may proceed to execute many machine movements available in the gym like Cable Raises, Dumbbell Press, Barbell Press and Shoulder flys etc.
For this Purpose, dumbbell shoulder flys, also popular as dumbbell fly’s are introduced to the Workout Plans. What are these so-called shoulder fly, are they dangerous, What are their benefits and How to Execute Them Properly? All of these Questions are answered down here.
Related Article: Mastering The Asian Squat For Enhanced Mobility And Strength
Do you know what are shoulder flys?
Shoulder flys are defined as a motion that mainly targets the shoulder muscles (Deltoids) with all of its 3 major parts (three heads). It entails raising weights, such as dumbbells, outward to the sides of an individual’s body in a movement akin to wings flapping.
This kind of workout is frequently included in an exercise plan that emphasizes the shoulders or the upper body significantly. It can be carried out while sitting, standing, or using a bench, and it is adaptable by adjusting the weight or using rubber resistance bands.
This movement can help in developing a strong upper body physique, shoulder strength, mobility, flexibility, shape & size of your deltoids. One of the best Benefits of shoulder dumbbell flys is that it does not mainly depend upon a single type of equipment and weight. You may use heavier dumbbells as you propagate further. You can also utilize the cable machines & resistance bands for this purpose.
Which muscles does shoulder flys work on?
Shoulder fly is a movement that ultimately affects and works your shoulder muscles as a whole. With your arms bent a little, this movement can prove to be very useful in creating a strong, strength & larger pair of shoulders. Following are the muscles that shoulder flys work:
- Middle Head
- Anterior Head (Using Front Lateral Raises)
- Posterior Head (Using Reverse Lateral Raises)
Related Article: Plyometrics vs Calisthenics – Which Method Reigns Supreme?
If the shoulder is retained in unbiased turning, the middle head of the shoulder is the primary focus of this exercise. To help with the abduction operation, the anterior (front) & posterior (back) portions of the shoulder will additionally co-contract.
The anterior deltoid takes up as the main articulation of the glenohumeral joint when the shoulder is laterally (externally, outwards) twisted the posterior deltoid loses the power and control, and the central head provides support. The straight line of pull formed by twisting at the waist or laying against a wall, or using a bench makes it possible for one to isolate the sides of your shoulders, to a greater amount.
Watch this video to get more Info about how to do shoulder flys
What are the advantages of shoulder flys?
Following are the advantages of shoulder fly that is very beneficial for your health. So read it carefully it is very important for you!
Betterment of shoulder flexibility & mobility
DB shoulder flys are another exercise that can increase shoulder mobility & range of motion. Activating the rear deltoids will stretch and develop the muscles that control shoulder rotation and abduction.
A symmetrical physique
Shoulder flys with dumbbells might aid in focusing particular shoulder muscles for an even more symmetrical appearance. By contracting the back deltoids, you can give your shoulders a more round, defined appearance. It can make the upper part of your body appear more attractive, aesthetic & balanced and enhance your entire physique.
Related Article: How To Do Stiff Leg Deadlift Properly?
Dumbbell shoulder flys are an extremely efficient workout that may fortify your deltoids as well as improve your torso’s overall endurance & uprightness.
Less probability of injuries
Injury risk is decreased thanks to exercises like shoulder flys with dumbbells, as was previously noted. You’re able to maintain the shoulder joints and keep them from getting excessively loose or unsteady by exercising your rear deltoids. Problems like dislocations of the shoulders and rotator cuff tears may be avoided as a result.
Affecting the back
The Shoulder affects the deltoids, no questions but it also has a positive impact on the back muscles. It makes up your Traps that make your neck look much bigger. It works on your middle back as well as a small part of your upper back.
How to execute a perfect dumbbell shoulder fly?
There are many variations, methods and ways in existence on how to perform a shoulder dumbbell fly, a lateral raise or identical movement. These are the action steps you must take:
- Proceed by holding a pair of equally weighted dumbbells in each of your hands and stand straight with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Your upper body should be bent towards the forward direction until your body is aligned along the ground (almost roughly parallel) and also bend your knees a little.
- Hang your arms straight downwards while holding the dumbbells. (Using a thumbless Grip would be Much Appreciated.)
- Keeping your elbows bent a little only, begin slowly by raising the dumbbells outward towards the sides to the extent at which the floor is parallel to both of your arms.
- To get the most out of the motion, pause briefly at the peak.
- Then slowly, start bringing the weight downwards to the initiation form.
- Do as many repetitions according to your need.
Related Article: Chest Fly Machine: Top 4 Variations & Benefits
What are the mistakes that every beginner do?
Here are some of the most encountered errors in gyms people do while performing lateral raises
- Straight Body Position – Maintaining a fully upright posture improves the likelihood that the anterior deltoid will be engaged.
- Extension – Shoulder abduction takes place when the elbows move in front of the shoulders throughout the motion of lifting. The lateral deltoids are also used less in this kind of motion.
- Shoulder external rotation – If the shoulder exterior rotates while being lifted, its rotator cuff tendons are engaged. The front deltoid is only responsible for lifting weight when the shoulder is rotated outwards. Both situations result in significantly less use of the lateral deltoid, contradicting the aim of the workout.
- Throwing up the Weight – Throwing the load up also lowers the focus on the lateral deltoids by using the glutes or spine to create movement.
Do you know what are the alternatives of shoulder flys?
As we have already mentioned that dumbbell shoulder flys are a very efficient movement to develop your deltoids but it also may not satisfy many individuals. Below are given the best workouts & exercises that could prove to be the best alternatives for lateral raises:
- Anterior Lateral Raises
- Posterior Lateral Raises
- Shoulder Cable Flys
- Shoulder Press
- Chest Fly Machine
- Dead-stop Cable Fly
- Three-Way Lateral Raise
Related Article: Sissy Squat: Top 3 Varieties And Advantages
The bottom line
Shoulder dumbbell flys are a very efficient movement to make up the form and size of your deltoids (shoulder muscles). They help in improving your body posture, overall have positive effects on your physique, make your back look much wider and also make up your neck.
Incorporating the shoulder flys into your daily workout routine may prove to be very helpful and beneficial for you and can help you achieve your dream physique goals.